Friday, November 8, 2013

2nd Grade

Time to post a few updates on this blog!  Instead of cramming everything into one long post, I'm going to attempt a few shorter posts to separate things out.

To start things off, Eli and Mikayla started 2nd grade this year!!  Well, they actually started last spring... since we are still homeschooling our curriculum usually starts a bit ahead of the school year.  But, they had their first day of school in August, at the same enrichment program they attended last year through the local public school district.  This year, they are attending two days per week, which works out nicely for me in terms of trying to coordinate schedules of five kiddos (three of whom are not school-age yet), and both kids enjoy the time out of the house to experience things they don't get to do at home... if you ask them, they will tell you their favorite parts of going to school are recess, lunch, and PE.  Typical.

Here are a few photos of my BIG second graders...

These first ones were from the photo shoot we did during the summer... I think I mentioned it in my last blog post way back when :)





Then here you have the "official" first day of 2nd grade photos - complete with backpacks on.  Of course my girlie girl chooses to wear rainbow clothes with lots of pink and a large bow in her hair, while my typical boy wears a teenage mutant ninja turtles shirt ;)



We chose to continue homeschooling this year, and I'm thankful for the extra time I get to spend with my kids.  As I mentioned, our schedule looks different now, having five kids in our home, but I am grateful for the privilege to continue homeschooling for as long as the Lord leads.  When we started homeschooling, we had in our minds that we would do so through the primary years in order to just give our kids more time with us, and set a solid foundation for their education.  We don't really know what the future will hold as far as whether we continue homeschooling, or if the kids still start attending school, but we just trust the Lord will direct our paths.  I also don't think homeschooling has to be all or nothing... I think families can have "seasons" where they homeschool, and seasons where they don't.  I even think there are times where certain children in a family might be homeschooled, while others attend school outside the home, depending upon the needs of each child and family.   So, not knowing what the future will hold, or if I will be homeschooling these two next year, I am just making the most of this year and enjoying our time together!! The pictures below are from a recent visit to the Arizona Museum of Natural History (fondly referred to as the Dinosaur Museum by my kids).  One of my favorite things about homeschooling is the ability to just get out of the house and enjoy these types of experiences on days when other kids are in school, so they aren't crowded!!  I love hands-on, experiential learning!





Of course the 1-year-old enjoys coming to "school" as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.