Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How to Make An Apple Pie and See The World

Our second Five in a Row unit of the school year was based on a wonderful book called How to Make An Apple Pie and See The World by Marjorie Priceman.  In this cute story, the main character decides to make an apple pie but the market is closed... so "naturally," she has to travel all around the world to obtain the ingredients needed for her pie and bring them back home.  My kids really enjoyed learning about the countries and places she visited, and also appreciated the humor of the story :)


Here is a glimpse of some of the fun activities we did to go along with this story... we spent about a month rowing this book because I tied this into a larger theme unit on "apples" in general - perfect for FALL!

  • Scavenger Hunt - I found this great idea HERE and we spent the morning "traveling" to different countries (ie - different rooms in our house) to collect all of the ingredients we needed.  We acted out the story as went - including catching the chicken and trying to milk the cow (our dog Petey played the animal roles in our drama, so you can imagine his dismay with this activity).  Unfortunately we were too involved in our "travels" to take any pictures, so you will just have to imagine the looks on our neighbors faces as we attempted to peel bark off of our "kurundu tree" outside in order to obtain cinnamon.  I can just picture them saying it now... "that weird homeschool family is outside doing something strange again." :)  At least, we weren't all wearing homemade, matching denim jumpers (which my friend Stephanie will appreciate).
  • Mapping and Sequencing - You really can't avoid mapping activities with this book, so we made great use out of our giant wall maps and plotted the character's adventure around the world.  My kids also enjoyed making a flag book and coloring the flags of the countries she visited.  In addition, they loved playing this matching/sequencing game where you had to match up the character's mode of transportation, ingredient, and country for each leg of her journey, and then put them in order.  We have been finished with this book now for a few weeks, and my kids still pull this game out on a regular basis :)

  • Videos!  My kids love videos, and as previously mentioned, I love YouTube!  In this unit we enjoyed watching a classic Disney movie (from 1948!!) on Johnny Appleseed - Part 1 and Part 2.  And I also had fun making my kids experience an important part of my past... Reading Rainbow!  Who remembers Reading Rainbow??  Yes, there was actually an episode produced on this particular book, so of course we watched it :)  (And yes, they loved it!)
  • Apple Seeds and Apple Stamps - The kids predicted how many seeds they would find when we cut open an apple, and we also read this cute story to learn about the hidden star pattern you can find when you cut an apple open.  We also observed and labeled all of the parts of an apple.  Then we busted out the paint (yes, this was a messy day!) and made apple stamp patterns.  FUN!


  •  Play Doh - Found a great recipe for apple play-doh, so we mixed up a batch and created our own apples.  This play-doh smelled AWESOME thanks to the yummy cinnamon and nutmeg spices :)  I appreciated every time my kids played with it because it made my house smell great!  If you have kids who enjoy play-doh, I highly recommend making a batch of this :)
  •  Salt Experiment - One of the ingredients that the main character has to pick up in her world travels, is salt.  To do this, she filled a jar with salt water and then let the water evaporate.  So, we had a great time conducting our own little salt evaporation experiment.  I loved the fact that this coincidentally went along with our last science unit on steam and the water cycle when we read Mike Mulligan... the kids actually remembered enough to make intelligent predictions about what would happen to the water and the salt :)

boiling the water

 adding some salt
 pouring it on to a plate and setting it in the sun
 later that day... what was left??

Bible Lessons - Since our character in the story traveled around the world, we talked about how God is the Lord over all nations and all people, and the kiddos memorized Psalm 113:4.  We studied the story of Creation, and made wheels to illustrate what happened each day.  We also spent a couple of weeks studying the fruits of the Spirit (to go along with apple of course!) and the kids did a great job memorizing Galations 5:22 and remember all those FRUITS!  We had fun identifying when someone would demonstrate a fruit of the Spirit in their daily life, so we would usually point out if someone was being joyful, patient, kind, etc.  
Mikayla recites Psalm 113:4... 
video

Eli recites Galations 5:22... I love the end where I ask him what book of the Bible this verse is in... how can you argue with his response? :)
video


Taste Test - Studying apples tends to make a person hungry, so it was only fitting to have a taste test!  The winner?  Gala apples by far!  The only problem is that now when my kids are offered an apple they ask, "is it a gala?"  Lol!  Greeeeeaaatttt, we are now picky about the "types" of apples we eat.  One day they will ask this in some type of public setting and I will be very embarrassed (or maybe beam with pride at how smart they are............??).


  • KWL Chart - We sure learned a lot from our apple unit!!!!


  • Making an Apple Pie - And yes, for the grand finale I successfully made an apple pie with my two little bakers.  It may not have the prettiest lattice crust, but it sure tasted good (as my hubby can verify) :)

  • Our Lapbook - And finally, we put it all together in a lapbook!  As you can tell, we had a lot of fun learning about apples :)
video





AllofaKindFamily

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting Bethany.
    Your home school is very nice.
    love you guys lots
    grandma & grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany, I can't even imagine how much time, work, and creativity goes into pulling this off. You are truly a gifted teacher and you're doing an awesome job! I, myself, barely have the patience to help my kids with a coloring book! Clearly, I have zero gifts in this area and am thankful for the local public school (and having a teacher for a hubbie is a huge plus!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this as we are hoping to row How to make an apple pie in the New Year. The play dough sounds fun and I love the KWL chart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for linking up! I'm glad that you are enjoying the printables. Your playdoh apple is darling!

    I've created a graphic to help others find the link up...if you want to add it to your post. I'm just trying to have an easy place to find resources to help other FIAR families!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Do you have a link to the matching game that you did with them??

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.