We have a tradition of doing some type of "family outing" in conjunction with each kid's birthday, so thanks to a groupon deal purchased last spring we headed up north to spend the day at Out of Africa Wildlife Park in Camp Verde. This was technically a few days before Mikayla's actual birthday, but we counted it since daddy was off of work and able to spend the day with us :)
Feeding a giraffe
The zebras lined up for a picture
Feeding a camel
We called this bird "Ms. Finch"
(if you've ever seen the movie "Follow that Bird" maybe you'll get the resemblance)
It was SO cool to see the lions and tigers up close
The tiger show was a highlight!
The birthday girl!!
Such a fun day - we even saw some rain! :)
On her "official" birthday, Mikayla started off the morning opening a few presents...
And later that evening we enjoyed having family members from the Thompson and Hutchison sides of the family over for dinner, cake, and ice cream.
A princess cake... homemade this year! Simple but yummy :)
We love you sweet birthday girl!
All About Mikayla, Age 5:
- Favorite Toys - Dolls, stuffed animals, crayons and coloring books, magnadoodle, princess and Barbie dolls, anything "crafty"
- Favorite Foods - Willing to try ANYTHING, she is the least picky eater I have ever met! Mikayla loves PB&J sandwiches, macaroni, chips and salsa, but probably pizza is her all-time favorite
- Favorite Activities - Going to a grandparent's house, dancing ballet, watching movies (especially about Disney princesses), riding bikes, swimming (she learned to swim on her own this summer!), playing make-believe games with Eli, singing songs, playing learning games on the computer
- Easy going. Mikayla takes everything in stride and can easily roll with the punches. Her bottom line is having fun - and she can find a good time most anywhere! She is definitely the perfect balance for her more "uptight" brother :)
- Shy. As with most "shy" kids, Mikayla is not at all shy around familiar faces and places... but in new surroundings she definitely becomes the fly on the wall (doesn't speak until spoken to, etc.). On the other hand, once she is comfortable... watch out! This girly girl can sure give you a run for your money in wild behavior :)
- Girly-girl. Mikayla continues to love all things girly... anything pink, purple, with frills, shiny, etc. I think this is summed up in what she told me the other day, "Mom, when I grow up I am going to be a princess, a ballerina, and a mommy!" You go girl!
- Loves her brother. Mikayla really looks up to Eli (though technically she is taller... so he is actually the one looking up... but I digress...) and enjoys playing with him for hours on end. Now that they share a room there are a few more "squabbles" that pop up during the day, but typically you might find them surrounded by stuffed animals on the floor of their room in the midst of a make-believe Christmas or birthday celebration.
- Loves God. She enjoys talking about the Bible stories she learns in Sunday School, and puts forth a lot of effort into memorizing Bible verses. She enjoys praying, and will often pray lengthy prayers that list off anything and everything one could thing to pray for :)
Happy Birthday Mikayla!!
May all your wishes come true...