Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Flood of 2011

On July 1st, we moved into our new home... closer to work, closer to a family, great neighborhood - we were so excited!

On July 12th, the downstairs flooded.  

I was the first to notice it when I walked into the pantry to get food for lunch, and realized I was walking in standing water.  I noticed the water all over the pantry, laundry room, and bathroom.  I called Micah right away and he came home to assess the damage... by this time, we could walk in the kitchen (which was on the other side of the wall from the standing water), and feel the floor squishing beneath our feet.  

This wasn't good.

Before long, our house was filled with workers telling us what we needed to do.  I honestly wasn't completely coherent but caught phrases such as, "level 3 water damage," "need to remove drywall," "cabinets will be coming out," "replace all the flooring," "we'll get your appliances back in as quick as we can," "large fans running for days," etc.  The next thing I knew, we were re-packing much of the downstairs back into the boxes we just finished emptying.

Within hours, our downstairs looked like this:

bye bye cabinets, sink, dishwasher...

yes, that's the stove/oven in the middle of the floor :(

hallway

bathroom... well, it used to be anyway

pantry (at least we got to keep the shelves!)

bye bye washer and dryer

i always wanted my dining room table in the middle of my living room anyway...

The large blowing (loud) fans did their thing for four days (and nights), and the workers finally decided the wood was dried out.  At that point, they were able to at least hook my washer/dryer back up, and I received this lovely consolation prize... :) 
 I always say, a plastic sink is better than no sink!

Although my stress level has been quite high this month (Lord... why NOW?), I am trying to be positive and have reflected on these things:

1.  It could always be worse.  Really - it could be much worse.  I lost "convenience."  I did not lose my house.  I did not lose my family or my friends.  I lost convenience.  I can handle that.

2.  I am so thankful for friends who brought meals over, people who invited us to their homes for dinner, and the fact that thanks to our move we actually live close to many great restaurants.

3.  Insurance.  Praise the Lord for insurance.  Minus our deductible, everything is covered and we were even given some funds to help with our "eating out" expenses.  (Something our regular budget doesn't allow us to do very much... so we are soaking it in while we can)

4.  Isaiah 41:10 - "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." I often hear people misinterpret the context of 1 Corinthians 10:13 and believe that God promises to never give us more than we can handle... the opposite of that is actually true - we are constantly faced with more than we can handle (sometimes more than others), but the blessing is that God promises to never leave us, he promises to be faithful to strengthen and uphold us.  Sometimes in our weakness, we are reminded to lean on Him, and trust in Him, for HE. IS GOOD.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust (*AND FLOODS) destroy, and where thieves break in and steal, but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Matthew 6:19-21
*Yes, I added this part in :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my! I admire your attitude amidst all that. Hope things are back to normal now and your are enjoying your beautiful new home together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that is crazy! I am super impressed with how you handled everything as well. You're amazing, Bethany!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.