Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mikayla’s Hair – Box Braids

img_0133

Mikayla prays every night for God to “help” her hair get longer.  She wakes up every morning and tells us, “look! my hair is longer!”  So far I have tried small puffs, big puffs, and two-strand twists… but hadn’t yet done any braiding.  I attempted to try some cornrows this weekend, but her hair just wasn’t quite long enough to hold with my fingers and have room to maneuver in order to cornrow.  So, we ended up just putting in a bunch of small box braids with flower snaps on the end.  I think it turned out pretty cute :)  Next time I know I will plan out the parts differently, I wasn’t happy with where each row ended up.  I also plan to make each section of hair smaller so that the braids can “stack” on top of one another more and give her hair “full” look."  We completed this style yesterday (it took about two hours) so the braids are a bit looser today, but I’m hoping they will hold throughout the week with just some touch-ups each morning.  We’ll see…

img_0130 img_0131 

For those who are interested… we first co-washed with Blended Beauty Tug-Me-Not Conditioner, then moisturized with Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier (diluted with water), and used Taliah Waajid Lock It Up gel to help hold the braids in place.  We purchased the cute flower snaps from HERE.

I have tried TONS of different hair care products on Mikayla’s hair, and will post soon regarding my thoughts on what has worked well and what hasn’t.  It’s definitely a process of trial and error!  :)

2 comments:

  1. How pretty! You did a great job, and Miss Mikayla's hair seems like it is really growing quickly to me. She is a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tips!! Her hair is beautiful and getting so long:) Her prayers are working. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.