Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankgiving Eve

Typically we do not set up our Christmas tree until after Thanksgiving, but tonight we gave in and put on some Christmas music while we hung ornaments. It has been fun the past couple of months experiencing all of Mikayla's "firsts" with her, and decorating the Christmas tree was no exception :) She thoroughly enjoyed hanging ornaments and each time she hung one she would come back and ask for "more?" "more?" "more?" Eli loves Christmas decorations as well. He gets excited as soon as we start seeing them in stores, so he was thrilled about tonight's activity and kept asking me if Santa was coming. When I asked him what he is thankful for on this Thanksgiving, he replied "I'm thankful for Christmas trees." Yes, he is. Me too.






What is Mikayla thankful for? Well, I think one of things she is most thankful for currently are her new earrings. Yep, we got her ears pierced last week! She picked out the pink flower earrings (very fitting) and shows them off to everyone. I think they look so cute with her short curly hair! We even had success getting some clips to stay in her hair today, so we now have a few more options other than headbands. We had tried barrettes a couple of times, but they would just fall out after a short time of playing. I think she'll be sporting the new clips for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow :)
To top off the night, Eli taught Mikayla how to "truly" eat Oreo cookies by dipping them in milk. So yummy!


Our family obviously has so much to be thankful for this year. Here are a few things that stick out in my mind right now:
  • Bringing Mikayla home and experiencing the joys of a daughter
  • Eli, my little boy, who makes me smile and laugh on a daily basis
  • Harvest Community Church
  • Free baby-sitting (on many occasions) from my parents and in-laws
  • My sister who is always "on call" to help clean my house :)
  • A job that challenges me and that I enjoy
  • Being a mommy and having the opportunity to stay home with my kids for the past two months
  • Our Zoo membership
  • Starbucks bottled frappucinos
  • Finding great buys on clearance
  • Technology (internet, cell phones...)
  • The ability to play the piano (my outlet!)
  • The Twilight book series (hee hee)
  • The Bible
  • Micah - my confidante, my best friend, my lover
  • Jesus Christ - My rock, my redeemer, my strength, my Saviour
  • And finally, I am thankful that my world view was challenged this year. I'm thankful that the Lord opened my eyes to truly "see" the 142 million orphans who live in our world, and that He broke my heart for them. I'm thankful for the many conveniences I enjoy in my life that I so often take for granted (CLEAN DRINKING WATER), that much of the world does not have access to. I'm thankful that thinking about this makes me uncomfortable - because it should. I'm thankful that I live in one of the richest nations in the world, and have the "wealth" to help others... even if I don't always think I have much wealth, I just need to remember the mother in Ethiopia who lived with her two babies in a cardboard box in the alley behind our hotel. Then I am reminded, I have much to be thankful for, and am accountable for what I choose to do with the "much" that I have.

1 comment:

  1. I love that your little girl says, "more, More, More!" That is what Mikah does. We were at church tonight and Mike went to get her while the music was still playing and it stopped and she looked at me and asked for more like 3 times! I am thankful for our beautiful Ethiopian girls! Magan Byrd

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.