Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sheep

Although I sometimes feel like we live out in the middle of nowhere (I guess it's true), I love the fact that we are surrounded by farmland and nature's beauty. I spent my high school years living in Gilbert, Arizona which, at that time, was a similar atmosphere to where I live now. Like everywhere else around here, the farmland is disappearing and more subdivisions are popping up, but until that happens I will continue to enjoy the views.

Every year on the farmland across from our neighborhood, a flock of sheep is brought in by truck to graze. I guess they are like snow birds?? The tend to arrive in the fall and leave in the spring. We have a lot of fun watching them each year, especially after the baby lambs are born. The other day we took a family bike ride around the farmland and said hello to "our sheep." I can't say that they were very happy to see us. They actually would stop and silently stare (it's very weird to have hundreds of sheep staring at you at the same time) and then one sheep would let out a "baa," and pretty soon there were "baa's" echoing throughout the flock and sheep were running wildly in all directions. It was actually quite funny, but we felt bad for "torturing" the poor things. They just had no idea what to do or where to go, and seemed to just follow the sheep directly in front of them, hoping that one knew the way.

I couldn't help but think about how often God compares us to flock of sheep in the Bible... hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. Hey, remember in high school when they used to announce to teachers not to count kids tardy during A-hour because the sheep were blocking Guadalupe Road???

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.