Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thank God for Good Drugs :)

So you may remember from a few posts back that I had to have a colonoscopy. This procedure has been added to my list of "things I thank God there are good drugs for," ranked right up there with giving birth and having the beautiful epidural. I had that wonderful procedure this morning and fortunately don't remember any aspect of it! I do remember going through the awful prep yesterday, but this doctor gave me a different prep kit to use than what I had used during my last procedure and I handled it a lot better. I was not as sick, and actually able to get some sleep last night.

I was pretty nervous this morning, but everyone at the doctor's office was so nice and went over with me exactly what would happen during the procedure. When they finally wheeled me into the room where the procedure would occur, I talked with the nurse for awhile and then she said, "Okay I'm going to put the medicine in your IV now so you'll be falling asleep soon." After that I remember feeling really weird and tingly, and the next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery area. They don't completely put you under for colonoscopies, but they make you "consciously sedated." That means basically you're asleep but you control your own breathing, reflexes, etc. I was somewhat sick in the recovery room just because my body doesn't always handle anesthesia well (same thing happened with the epidural when I had Eli), but I was in such a daze at that point I don't even remember it very well. The doctor also came and met with Micah and I during that time to review the findings, and I guess I was awake for that part but have ZERO recollection of even talking to the man. Micah was showing me some pictures he reviewed with us (of my colon - EW!) and some other paperwork, and I don't remember it at all. I guess that's why the force you to bring a driver with you. Ha! Can you imagine all these drugged up people being let loose to drive home?

Anyway, I pretty much slept the whole ride home and ALL DAY today. I don't think I have slept that well since pre-pregnancy days. I am considering going back and asking the doctor for more of those wonderful meds to use in the future!! :) As for the findings, the doctor said things looked good for the most part but he did biopsy some tissue. So now we wait once again for results... something I am getting quite used to.

For anyone who has to have a colonoscopy in the future - it's nothing to worry about. The prep isn't fun, but the actual procedure is a breeze and you won't remember it anyway. If you ever need to catch up on your sleep, you might want to schedule one of these just for that purpose :)

Thanks again for your prayers and emails!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Bethany... I'm glad you could focus on the positive aspect of catching up on sleep! =) We'll be praying for good news and answers regarding the results...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.