Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Random Thoughts to Share


As I type I am listening to my poor son relentlessly screaming from his bedroom because he does not want to go to bed. A few posts back I mentioned how leaving the door open had seemed to alleviate this problem... well that was short lived :( The past few nights he has slept with his room light on (not just night light mind you, but the room light). Even keeping the light on isn't working tonight! Nap times are not a problem at all, as he willingly goes down for naps without so much as a complaint, and sometimes even puts himself to bed for naps! This used to be the same thing with bedtime, but for whatever reason that all changed within the last few weeks and bedtime has brought with it a raging resistance. We try to follow the same bedtime routine each night (bath, stories, songs, prayers) but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. So... we are now at the cry-it-out phase and tonight we are approaching 31 minutes... really not that bad, but for those of you who have tried this method you know every minute of screaming seems like an eternity. One thought that we have is to start limiting the length of his naps during the day, sometimes he sleeps more than two hours and we are thinking maybe he just isn't tired by the time bedtime rolls around? Or maybe that has absolutely nothing to do with it? Sometimes parenting feels like a guessing game. If anyone has any advice to offer, I'll happily listen to your suggestions!


On another topic... I think McCain made a great choice in Sarah Palin for VP. I enjoyed listening to her speech tonight during the Republican National Convention. It's great to see a MOM up there!! I loved the fact that when her youngest daughter was holding their infant son she licked her hand in order to press his hair down - all caught on national television! How perfect! Kids will be kids, even if their mom is running for VP and giving the most important speech of her career to date. :)


The final thing on my mind tonight is the fact that my doctor called today with the results of my last not-so-fun-but-I-survived procedure and they weren't exactly what I had hoped for. So what does that mean? That I get to undergo yet another not-so-fun procedure... a colonoscopy. Ugh. My brother was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a few years back, and the results of my procedure show that I may have the early stages of this disease as well. This has been especially tough for us since we were right on the verge of submitting our application to adopt from Ethiopia when my symptoms started showing up. In order to adopt internationally, both parents really need to have a clean bill of health. There are situations where medical conditions are approved depending upon the severity and prognosis, but it just puts up more red tape. This has really been a trying time for us since we felt so sure that God wanted us to adopt and we were so excited to finally be at a place to begin the process. It's very confusing as to why these health problems for me suddenly came up, when I have never had any kind of serious health problems prior. But, I keep remind myself that God doesn't make mistakes and none of this is an accident. I am an impatient person and have such a hard time waiting... right now I'm doing a lot of waiting... waiting for medical procedures, waiting for results, repeating the process (twice), waiting to submit an adoption application, waiting, waiting, waiting. I was encouraged by Psalm 27:14 which reminds me to "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." I think that down the road we will be able to see how God's hand was working even during this trying time, but it's always much harder to be encouraged when you're in the midst of it. Anyway, I would appreciate everybody's continued prayers in this matter... especially for comfort and peace of mind. Oh yeah, and patience :)

By the way... Micah just went into Eli's room to do our repeated "I love you but you still have to go to bed" visit and Eli announced to him that he wanted his light OFF. (What?!?) So Micah turned off his light, the child rolled over, and went to sleep. Silence.... I don't think there's answers sometimes, kids just have their own way about them and by the time you think you've got it figured out they have moved on to another stage with something new for you to figure out. Oh well, at least we can all get some sleep now. Knock on wood right?

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to let you know we had the same sleep problem with Tyler. We put a tv and dvd player in his room and let him watch one of his shows about a half hour before bed with the lights on. I think it took his mind off being scared in his bed. It worked for us. I also agree with you about Sarah Palin. She is awesome! I'm sorry about your health issues. I hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany - Just a quick commment that I will be praying for you and the health thing as it sounds this is a heavy burden... I will drop you an email soon....

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.