Sunday, March 30, 2008

Personalities

Tonight I found some old binders that Micah and I used during our pre-marital counseling/class over five years ago. Inside, I found our "personality profiles" that we were given after taking the extensive Meyers-Briggs personality test. When we met with our counselor to go over the results, she informed us that we were exact opposites!

The personality test rates you in four categories and then gives you a 4-letter combination that indicates your personality. The categories are: Extroversion (E) vs. Introversion (I), Sensing (S) vs. Intuition (N), Thinking (T) vs. Feeling (F), Judging (J) vs. Perceiving (P). You can read about what these mean by clicking here. The results showed that I was an "ESTJ" and Micah was an "INFP." We were opposites on every single letter. Our counselor laughed and mentioned that usually most people have at least ONE in common. She also nicely informed us that this would probably cause some conflict in our marriage! How nice, right? Well, over the past five years we have definitely seen these personality differences shine through in almost everything we do, every single day. I will say though, that it has become much easier to work together and appreciate one another's differences. Although the striking differences can be a weakness for us at times, it's also one of our greatest strengths because we make such a great team!

I think it's amazing how accurately personality tests can depict people... our profiles (which you can get to by clicking on our labels above), are certainly true! When we were taking the test, Micah commented about how he doesn't like personality tests. Then when we got the results one of the descriptors of an "INFP" was that they don't like personality tests - HA! I just had to laugh :) Another funny thing is that we are both in careers that are considered to be good career choices for our respective personalities. I love my job and can see how it's a great fit for me (stated very matter-of-factly by yours truly - the ESTJ)! Micah also loves his job, but constantly questions whether it's what he's "supposed" to be doing or if maybe there is something else out there... but that's exactly what an "INFP" is supposed to do! :)

Has anyone else out there ever taken a test like this? If so what were you? Just curious! I think it will be interesting to see what Eli turns out to be... right now I see a lot of myself in his personality, but he'll probably be a mix (best of both worlds right?).

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, It's fun to read about you all's personalities!! I didn't know you were an ESTJ ... I am -- like your hubby-- and INFP. No wonder we get along well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.